September 10, 2013
Week 2 Blog
“4 Reasons Why Social Media Should be Taught in Our School Systems”
- What is your opinion on using social networking in education?
- I believe that it is time for schools to embrace the global community and start using social media more in classrooms and schools. I do feel that it is becoming so popular and part of our culture that it is a must. However, change isn’t always easy especially for leadership in some schools and with publishing companies (ones that continue to prepackaged one size fits all curriculums in printed form).
- Summarize the article. Include the link, if possible.
- “4 Reasons Why Social Media Should be Taught in Our School Systems”
- This article discusses the needs of schools moving forward with our global learning community and the use of social media in schools. It discusses 4 reasons why we should not only use social medias in schools but actually teach them. She makes a great point that we need to teach our students how to be productive digital citizens since many companies are looking for educate learners that can work on social and digital sites.
- What lessons can be learned from this situation about using social networking in a responsible and ethical manner?
- If we don’t teach our students the social and ethical correct for the use of social media they won’t have an understanding of it. Also, if we are supposed to have kids ready for today’s job market then our classrooms need to be technology advanced and require problem solving that gets them ready for their future careers.
- Did the situation described in the article affect your opinion on using social networking in education? Why or why not?
- It didn’t. She just brought to life new reasons why digital and social media must be taught in today’s schools and classrooms.
- Here is another resource that I use in my classroom to teach digital citizenship.
- My students loved it and they learned.