Identify reasons for integration
- Technology program is well planned and thought out before the purchase of hardware or software.
- A clear mission is established.
- Content should always be at the forefront. Technology enhances the content. It is not about teaching the technology but using the technology to teach.
- Make sure the technology devices work well for the teacher and all students. The device must fit the needs of learner.
- Support is available to the teacher and students for management, troubling shooting, and on going training.
5 Tools for integrating the iPad into Elementary Math
1. Math Bingo for fact practice and fluency with facts
2. Educreations for sharing ideas, collaboration, flipped learning and digital whiteboard
3. IXL.com for standards based practice, practice that reinforces concepts and skills being taught in the classroom.
4. Smart Notebook iPad App for sharing lessons made by the teacher and having students follow along with instruction and collaborative learning.
5. Comic Life iPad App for mixing project based learning into the flipped and technology integrating classroom. Can be used to make posters or picture stories, word problems, or steps to solving a word problem.
September 10, 2013
Week 2 Blog
“4 Reasons Why Social Media Should be Taught in Our School Systems”
- What is your opinion on using social networking in education?
- I believe that it is time for schools to embrace the global community and start using social media more in classrooms and schools. I do feel that it is becoming so popular and part of our culture that it is a must. However, change isn’t always easy especially for leadership in some schools and with publishing companies (ones that continue to prepackaged one size fits all curriculums in printed form).
- Summarize the article. Include the link, if possible.
- “4 Reasons Why Social Media Should be Taught in Our School Systems”
- This article discusses the needs of schools moving forward with our global learning community and the use of social media in schools. It discusses 4 reasons why we should not only use social medias in schools but actually teach them. She makes a great point that we need to teach our students how to be productive digital citizens since many companies are looking for educate learners that can work on social and digital sites.
- What lessons can be learned from this situation about using social networking in a responsible and ethical manner?
- If we don’t teach our students the social and ethical correct for the use of social media they won’t have an understanding of it. Also, if we are supposed to have kids ready for today’s job market then our classrooms need to be technology advanced and require problem solving that gets them ready for their future careers.
- Did the situation described in the article affect your opinion on using social networking in education? Why or why not?
- It didn’t. She just brought to life new reasons why digital and social media must be taught in today’s schools and classrooms.
- Here is another resource that I use in my classroom to teach digital citizenship.
- My students loved it and they learned.
Objective(s): Write a detailed blog post in which you explain the key arguments for integrating technology into teaching and learning. Of these arguments, which do you feel is the most compelling… and why? This is not a “listing” activity, so please do not simply list reasons. Explain the reasons and the arguments behind them using supporting details from the weekly materials.
I feel that page 12 in the text talks about many good reasons why we should integrate technology in today’s classrooms. We should…
- Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity.
- Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments.
- Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
- Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
- Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership.
Even though I feel that this are all important, I feel that number one (facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity) is the one I feel the strongest about. Students who are creative and willing to try and willing to make mistakes until they accomplish a goal are the ones that will be the most successful and get the most out of learning. I love integrating technology into my classroom for this reason.